If it wasn’t for the fact that “fast food” has the world’s worst connotation, I’d go ahead and call this top-notch vegetarian fast food for athletes (and others too, of course). It packs in protein, slow carbohydrates, vegetables, plenty of flavor AND comes together in literally 20 min, start to finish. We often have this for lunch, in order to be ready to go for an afternoon run a few hours later. This time of year, we often crave something warming for lunch, while summertime often sees a sandwich, wrap or salad bowl come midday. Traditionally, it’s obviously made with rice, and while rice is delicious and all, we tend to opt out whenever we can, in favor for more eco-friendly alternatives. Swapping rice for wheat or oat berries is an excellent way to reduce your carbon footprint, which we of course try to do as much as we possibly can. Carrots and peas are among the superstars when it comes to food and emissions – primarily field grown and lovers of the Nordic climate, these are staples almost all year round at our house.
För recept på svenska, klicka här: Matvete “fried rice”
Total Time: 25 min
6 dl water
1/2 tsp salt
4 1/2 dl uncooked wheat berries
3 tbsp canola oil
200 carrots, chopped (2 medium)
150 g onion, chopped (1 medium)
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
3 eggs, whisked
250 g frozen peas (approx. 4 1/2 dl)
1 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a small pot, bring water and salt to a boil. Add in the wheat berries and simmer over low heat, covered, for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium pan, sauté the onions and carrots in 2 tbsp of canola oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add in the cooked wheat berries along with 1 tbsp of canola oil and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce.
- Push the “fried rice” to one side of the pan and scramble the eggs in the now free spot. After the eggs are done, add in the frozen peas and stir so everything is combined. Leave over heat for 1-2 minutes until the peas are warmed through.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Error: Your Requested widget " latest_post_gump_pro-3" is not in the widget list.
- [do_widget_area advanced-footer-widget-1]
- [do_widget_area advanced-footer-widget-2]
- [do_widget_area advanced-footer-widget-3]
- [do_widget_area advanced-footer-widget-4]
- [do_widget_area astra-woo-shop-sidebar]
- [do_widget_area astra-woo-single-sidebar]
- [do_widget_area footer-widget-1]
- [do_widget_area footer-widget-2]
- [do_widget_area header-widget]
- [do_widget_area header-widget-1]
- [do_widget_area sidebar-1]
- [do_widget id="text-2"]
- [do_widget id="text-5"]
- [do_widget id="text-3"]
- [do_widget id="text-6"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-2"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-3"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-4"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-3"]
- [do_widget id="eu_cookie_law_widget-2"]
- [do_widget_area widgets_for_shortcodes]
- [do_widget id="latest_post_gump_pro-3"]
- [do_widget id="latest_post_gump_pro-4"]
- [do_widget id="latest_post_gump_pro-5"]
- [do_widget id="latest_post_gump_pro-6"]
- [do_widget id="latest_post_gump_pro-8"]
- [do_widget_area wp_inactive_widgets]
- [do_widget id="blog_subscription-3"]
- [do_widget id="woocommerce_widget_cart-3"]