För recept på svenska, klicka här: Krämig pasta med broccoli
When we first started cooking entirely plant based, we were definitely new to some of the tricks and smart-to-have-around ingredients commonly found in those types of recipes. Three years later and that’s no longer the case at all – our pantry now always stocks nutritional yeast, chickpea flour, ground flax seeds, oat milk etc. – and plant based food has become our norm, with some deviations away from it once in a while. But a plant based creamy, cheesy pasta sauce, using those plant based pantry ingredients? That we didn’t think was within reach at all – or not until we started experimenting, at least.
We often blend white beans and oat milk for a cream-like addition to soups (such as here: Simple and Creamy Green Pea Soup and Broccoli & Potato Soup with Thyme Croutons), and that’s where the inspiration to create the recipe below came from in the first place. Add to that a desire to share yet another broccoli recipe this fall and the fact that broccoli-cheddar soup is a winner… and the idea of a creamy, cheesy vegan pasta with broccoli was born in our minds. The process is simple, the outcome 100% comforting. Y’all, give this one a go. It’s fantastic. And as Mike of course puts it: “you don’t even notice it’s healthy”.
Total Time: 40 min
460 g cooked white beans (6 dl)
2 dl oat milk
4 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
A good grind of black pepper
A pinch of red pepper flakes
400 g pasta
2 small heads of broccoli (500 g), cut into florets
2 cloves garlic, chopped
A pinch of red pepper flakes
1 dl reserved pasta water
1 dl pumpkin seeds, toasted (to serve, optional)
- Start with the creamy sauce. Using either a stand blender or immersion blender, blend all of the sauce ingredients together until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Set aside 1 dl of the pasta water, drain the rest and return the pasta to the pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, sauté the broccoli along with the garlic and red pepper flakes in a splash of olive oil over medium heat. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Add the cooked broccoli along with the sauce and the reserved pasta water to the pot with the pasta and stir to combine.
- Top with toasted pumpkin seeds and serve immediately.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe (and perhaps other ones as well), maybe you would like to support us on Patreon? For as little as $3 per month, you would play a huge part in helping us create more of the content you like, as well as keep our blog ad-free. And if Patreon isn’t your thing at all, please remember this: each time you like, comment, cook one of our recipes, recommend us to a friend or in any other way spread the word about us, you do us an immense favor. Thank you so much for being part of our mission.
– Sophia & Michael