This recipe will (humbly) serve as the first one in our little ‘stay local’ challenge we hope you’ll join us in throughout the month of February. This time of the year – here in the north – it’s easy to think produce options are few and far between and that one simply HAS to rely on imported vegetables to survive. While we always eat this way, we wanted to draw some extra attention to the plethora of storage friendly, amazing veggies we actually do get to choose from this cold, snowy time of the year, and really try to inspire all of you to… well, ‘stay local’. So join in, and opt for sustainable vegetable super heroes the coming month – and leave the asparagus, avocados and snap peas from afar be for bit. Instead, cook with potatoes, parsnips, beets, sunchokes, carrots, rutabaga, celery root, cabbage, kale, onions, kohlrabi, daikon, salsify, winter squash… the list is so long!
We think it’s time for seasonal eating to be reestablished as an ingrained part of our food culture, with all that comes with it – the creativity working with what’s on hand, the endless joy when a new season rolls around, the deepened connection with nature… and a more in tune way of living on this earth. It’s a quadruple win. No one loses. We’ve been trained into thinking we need to have a lettuce-tomato-cucumber side salad every month of the year, and that it’s normal that we can buy everything at all times. We’d like to ask you to try to think a little differently, if only for a month. Read the labels, and opt out of buying any vegetables from far away. And then, let the magic happen!
Red cabbage wedges is probably the most forgotten about and never-even-heard-of elegant, delicious, cheap side dish of all times. With a few sophisticated touches, such as toasted hazelnuts and reduced balsamic vinegar, it’s a concept full of flair – and definitely something to consider making the next time you’re hosting a dinner party or cooking up a feast for some loved ones. We’d argue it goes with virtually anything, but it also works as a stand-alone dish, so choose your own adventure! The recipe is just as straightforward as it looks, so we’ll let you get right to it 🙂
För recept på svenska, klicka här: Ugnsrostad rödkål med hasselnötter
Serves 4 as a side dish
1 kg red cabbage (approx. 1/3 of a regular head)
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (equals 1/2-1 tbsp)
1 dl balsamic vinegar
30 g toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped (approx. 1/2 dl)
- Set the oven to 220ºC. Then, proceed to cutting the cabbage. If using a smaller head, cut round “steaks”, about 2 cm thick, leaving the core in (this will prevent them from falling apart). If using a larger head, cut wedges, either full length or according to picture.
- Place the cabbage pieces on a parchment paper covered oven sheet. Drizzle the wedges/steaks with olive oil, and make sure they’re evenly coated. Sprinkle with salt and rosemary, and bake in the middle of the oven for 15 min. Remove, sprinkle with the chopped up garlic, and place back in the oven for another 10 min. Remove and turn off the oven.
- In the meantime, place balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan, and let simmer over medium heat until reduced by half (5-10 min). Set aside.
- Plate the dish by drizzling the balsamic reduction over the wedges, and finishing of with a sprinkle of hazelnuts.
Error: Your Requested widget " latest_post_gump_pro-3" is not in the widget list.
- [do_widget_area advanced-footer-widget-1]
- [do_widget_area advanced-footer-widget-2]
- [do_widget_area advanced-footer-widget-3]
- [do_widget_area advanced-footer-widget-4]
- [do_widget_area astra-woo-shop-sidebar]
- [do_widget_area astra-woo-single-sidebar]
- [do_widget_area footer-widget-1]
- [do_widget_area footer-widget-2]
- [do_widget_area header-widget]
- [do_widget_area header-widget-1]
- [do_widget_area sidebar-1]
- [do_widget id="text-2"]
- [do_widget id="text-5"]
- [do_widget id="text-3"]
- [do_widget id="text-6"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-2"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-3"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-4"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-3"]
- [do_widget id="eu_cookie_law_widget-2"]
- [do_widget_area widgets_for_shortcodes]
- [do_widget id="latest_post_gump_pro-3"]
- [do_widget id="latest_post_gump_pro-4"]
- [do_widget id="latest_post_gump_pro-5"]
- [do_widget id="latest_post_gump_pro-6"]
- [do_widget id="latest_post_gump_pro-8"]
- [do_widget_area wp_inactive_widgets]
- [do_widget id="blog_subscription-3"]
- [do_widget id="woocommerce_widget_cart-3"]