För recept på svenska, klicka här: Kryddiga linser med morötter och tahinidressing
Mm, some warming spices paired with a perfectly chewy lentil-grain mix, sweet and ginger-y carrots and a creamy dressing on top – sounds like food heaven to us. And despite the multiple components to this recipe, it comes together nice and quick too, and the prepping doesn’t include much advanced stuff at all. A weeknight winner for sure, but also interesting enough to qualify as a Saturday night dinner or perhaps as something to cook someone who “doesn’t like vegetarian food”. We always find that comment funny. You mean you don’t like potatoes? Or pasta?
And if you’re after convincing someone plant based is cool, you better stick to the term “vegetarian”. God, throw “vegan” in there and you’re in deep trouble! That this dish is 100% plant based can remain your own secret 🙂 Alrighty, that’s all – enjoy!
Total Time: 45 min
Lentil and grain salad
3 dl grain of your choice (e.g. pearled wheat, farro or brown rice)
4 dl green lentils (320 g)
2 tbsp canola oil
1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 dl raisins
100 g fresh spinach
Salt and black pepper
8 medium carrots (800 g)
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 tbsp baking syrup (ljus sirap) or maple syrup
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 dl tahini
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp baking syrup (ljus sirap) or maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp hot water
A good grind of black pepper
1 1/2 dl roasted walnuts, roughly chopped
Pickled red onions or thinly sliced raw red onions
- Set the oven to 225ºC.
- Cook grain and lentils according to package instructions.
- Cut the carrots in long wedges (see picture). Whisk together oil, syrup and spices and toss with the carrots. Roast in the oven for 10 min, toss, and return to the oven for another 10 min. Set aside.
- Whisk together canola oil and all the spices for the lentil and grain salad. When those are done cooking, mix them in one of the pots, stir in the spice mixture and set aside, covered.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the tahini dressing. Set aside.
- Before serving: fold in spinach and raisins into the lentils and grains. Season to taste.
- To serve: start with a bed of lentils and grains and top with carrots, walnuts, pickled red onions (or raw slices) and a drizzle of tahini dressing.
Share this post!
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe (and perhaps other ones as well), maybe you would like to support us on Patreon? For as little as $3 per month, you would play a huge part in helping us create more of the content you like, as well as keep our blog ad-free. And if Patreon isn’t your thing at all, please remember this: each time you like, comment, cook one of our recipes, recommend us to a friend or in any other way spread the word about us, you do us an immense favor. Thank you so much for being part of our mission.
– Sophia & Michael