För recept på svenska, klicka här: Veganska mellanmålsmuffins med morot och äpple
Muffins! Muffins galore! It’s certainly hard to find a more convenient and to go-friendly sweet treat, as well as one where flavor combinations are more abundant. This will most likely be our last muffin batch that has a fall/winter feel to them for this season, so bear with us – it’ll be all berries and fresh fruit in no time, but for now, just a little more of that warming cinnamon smell and crunchy nuts, ok? These are on the more nutritious and hearty side of the spectrum, with whole grain flours, grated carrots and a fairly anonymous amount of sugar, making them the perfect snack any time, any day of the week. They’ll last for months in the freezer and defrost quickly, no need to hold back on the batch size here. Oh, and they’re entirely plant-based, but that you’ll see as soon as you read the ingredient list. Hope you’ll like these as much as we do!
Makes 12 muffins
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 5 tbsp water, see step 1)
2 dl oats, pulsed into an almost flour-like consistency
2 dl all purpose flour
2 dl whole grain rye flour
1/2 dl light muscovado sugar
1/2 dl cane sugar
2 dl walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
8 pitted dates
2 dl oat milk
1 dl canola oil
3 medium carrots, grated (equals 4 dl grated)
1 medium apple, grated (equals 2 dl grated)
- Set the oven to 200ºC. Then, stir together flax seeds and water in a small bowl or glass, and let sit for 5 min.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl – the flours, sugars, nuts, spices and baking soda and powder. Set aside.
- In a small food processor (or use a hand mixer), place the dates and 3/4 dl water. Blend until the dates are chopped up very finely.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the date water, oat milk, canola oil and flax eggs. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry, and stir to combine. Then, fold in the grated carrots and apple, and mix well.
- Scoop the batter into a greased (or lined) muffin pan, and bake for 20-25 min or until done in the middle of the oven.