För recept på svenska, klicka här: Krämig rotsellerisoppa med potatis och timjan
Our soup and sourdough lunch concept is still going strong and it’s starting to feel as if it’ll stay with us forever. Typically, we make two batches per week – one on Mondays which will last us until Thursday, and then a slightly smaller batch that will last us until Sunday. You’ll start to think we’ve gone totally insane when we’re praising big batch soup cooking and soup lunches this way, but it really is the greatest thing ever (I believe those are the exact words Mike often uses).
This Pantry Lentil Tomato Soup with Spiced Sunflower Seeds has been pretty heavy in the rotation lately, and can you blame us? We double the batch every time and it does the trick week in and week out. But it’s not all crushed tomatoes and red lentils – we turn to this Simple and Creamy Green Pea Soup often too, as well as this Root Vegetable Minestrone With Lentils and Kale (which, admittedly, is very much a stew and not a soup) and this classic Quick Butternut Squash Soup with Carrots, Apple and Crispy Chickpeas. Recently though, we’ve been craving some new flavors and as the big fans of celery root as we are, we thought hey, isn’t it time to create a new soup recipe and put that root veggie in focus? Said and done, and this is obviously the outcome. Simple to make, vegan and endlessly satisfying to eat.
Note: This will make 8 servings without doubling – we did it this way so you can go ahead and use up a whole head of celery root at once. Good luck!
PS. Our thing for celery root is also showing in this recipe for Vegan “Fish” Tacos With Breaded Celery Root, Cabbage and Lime Sauce – one of our personal favorites to date.
Serves 8 (see note above)
Total Time: 1 hr
2 yellow onions (300 g)
3 carrots (300 g)
1 celery root (1 kg)
6 waxy potatoes (600 g)
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp bouillon powder
460 g cooked chickpeas (600 ml)
200 ml oat based cream (13% fat)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar (can be omitted)
Canola oil, salt and black pepper
- Slice onions in half and then into thin wedges. Peel and cut the carrots into small (1 cm) cubes.
- Peel and cube (2 cm) celery root and potatoes. Mince the garlic.
- Heat up a splash of canola oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onions and carrots until softened, approximately 5 min.
- Add in celery root, potatoes, garlic, thyme, 1 tsp salt and a good grind of black pepper.
- Pour in 2 liters of water and stir in bouillon powder. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Simmer, covered, until root vegetables are done (approximately 25-30 min).
- Add in chickpeas, oat based cream and white wine vinegar. Stir.
- Scoop up about 1/3 of the soup and blend smooth. Pour it back into the pot.
- Season to taste and serve right away.
Share this post!
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe (and perhaps other ones as well), maybe you would like to support us on Patreon? For as little as $3 per month, you would play a huge part in helping us create more of the content you like, as well as keep our blog ad-free. And if Patreon isn’t your thing at all, please remember this: each time you like, comment, cook one of our recipes, recommend us to a friend or in any other way spread the word about us, you do us an immense favor. Thank you so much for being part of our mission.
– Sophia & Michael